Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

UP MY DIVORCE APPLICATION ONLINE CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW…

Customer Question
IM FINISHING UP MY...

IM FINISHING UP MY DIVORCE APPLICATION ONLINE CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS WORKS? DO WE PHYSICALLY HAVE TO TAKE THE PAPERS TO THE COURT TO OFFICIALLY GET A DIVORCE?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CALIFORNIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO IM JUST DOING IT ONLINE I PAID THE $30 FEE $130

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE PROCESS IS

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

HELLO

Good evening,

You may find the information from the California Courts website helpful as they actually explain the process each step of the way.

That said, yes, once you fill out the paperwork, the next step is to file it with the Clerk of Court. You'll need the original and two copies. If you want your forms reviewed, most Clerk of Courts have a family help facilitator or self-help center. If there are no errors, the Clerk will take the papers from you and you'll pay a filing fee. Your spouse will need to be served with the petition for divorce.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything for you or provide you with additional information. Thank you.

can you please let me know what other forms we need to fill out for the application?

You would need the Petition (FL-100), and Summons (FL-110). If you have a lot of property or debts and it won't all fit on the petition, you need to use Form FL-160, which is a property declaration form. You don't say whether you and your spouse have minor children -if you do, there are additional forms you'll need for your divorce.

All of these forms are found on the court website here.

Please let me know if there is anything I may clarify for you or any additional information you need. If not, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page as that is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the website. Thank you.