Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

We have filed a domestic violent case against my friend's…

We have filed a...

We have filed a domestic violent case against my friend's husband. The court date is coming up this Wednesday. From one day to another our attorney changed her stand and now she is pushing us to take a deal from the defendant. We ask for 5 years spouse support. Our attorney at first said this case is a winner with all the evidence of the domestic violation. Our attorney now says if we don't get the 5 years we might walk away with nothing. The question is if we asked for 5 years spouse support. If the judge doesn't feel the 5 years is appropriate we end up with nothing? or the judge will lower the years of support we asked for? We have police report, witnesses etc to support our case. However my friend now is scared to go to the court because of our very own attorney changing her stand in this case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is California and it is family law

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes it has been filed 5 months ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess we just want to see our option. After paying $7000 to our attorney now it is the big the coming she is changing our stand and wants us to take the deal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I asked the question wrong. We have filed 5 years distraining order. Not spouse support
1/14/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

.

This is NOT an all or nothing proposition; that means that if the judge doesn't feel that 5 years is appropriate, he or she may just lower the term to something else. It does not mean that the judge will throw it out entirely. The only circumstances that the judge will throw it out entirely in is if the judge feels no term is warranted - and that shouldn't happen if you have evidence to support your position. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow! This is very good information.In this case I like to get an extension to see my options. Can I get an extension dew days before the court date? Our attorney said we cannot. After the first lie of what she said I have reason now to believe that she is lying about this too. What do you think?

Your attorney would need to ask the court for an extension. Generally, it's easier for an attorney to get an extension b/c they frequently have client/case conflicts and the court is very understanding about them. You would just need to ask the court and explain why you need an extension - but you definitely won't get one unless you ask - so it makes sense to ask!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney