Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had a child support case dropped last year, now the mother…

Customer Question
I had a child...

I had a child support case dropped last year , now the mother gets mad when I'm late with the payment now she saying she going to open it back up Tuesday. He will be 17 May the31. But can she do that. I agreed with her to pay 50 a week. I don't miss I be late on getting it to her can she do this to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No she just text it to me today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah she got 3 other kids live with her 2 of them grown and work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm assuming she's going to file a contempt motion because you have been late with payments? While she can file, If so, it's unlikely to succeed, because she would have to show that you are intentionally/willfully not paying her on time. If this is a result of for example an erratic pay schedule, or because you work on commission for example, and the checks are sporadic, etc. and not willful, it's not likely to result in any sanctions.