Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to be at a guardianship hearing where my sister

Customer Question
I need to be...

I need to be at a guardianship hearing where my sister petition for guardianship of my father. He has been deemed incompetent but her lawyer says my father agreed to her being guardian. My father called me the week of new year's and tol me he did not trust her. He told my brother that again and again on Wednesday this and he recorded this. If my father is incompetent how could the lawyer present this as evidence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

My father is in Milwaukee , Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My father has not talked to my sister in more than two years. Up until five months ago He called me everyday. The police found him wandering on the streets of milwaukee. I got a call from mental health where I was seeking help for him and gave them permission to have the police call me which they did and ask me for permission to take him to the hospital which I consented too. He is still in the hospital awaiting placement in assisted living. He was diagnosis with vascular dementia. Memory as you may or may not know is the last thing to go.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/12/2018
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

What you are saying is that you want to object to the appointment of your sister to be the guardian of your Father. Have you by chance, been able to put your objection in writing, serving the objection and filing it with the court? It may not be necessary but it could be a good idea. Otherwise, you would make the objection at the hearing.

Also, your Father would be at the hearing too. Further, the court may appoint someone to evaluate your Father. You raise a good point that if the Father is incapacitated then how can he pick who the guardian should be.

We can continue to discuss this if you want.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards

No I have not but I will put objection in writing and in person. What I wanted was us to do this as a family but she things he has money and did this behind my back all the while lying to me and my mother.

I hear what you are saying. Yes, filing written objections is a good idea along with appearing in person.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again: I am checking to see if you got all that you wanted from Just Answer on this question. Have I answered all of your questions?