Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a alimony request for termination due to cohabitation…

Customer Question
I have a alimony request...
I have a alimony request for termination due to cohabitation If I move into my own apartment before the hearing in 2 months will a judge still terminate
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Under CA law cohabitation is one of the reasons under which alimony can be modified or terminated. The reason being that there is a presumption that if the former spouse is in a new relationship that's risen to the level of cohabitation, then there must be new financial support available as well.

If your situation were to change now, well in advance to the hearing for termination, then that would provide you with a rebuttal to your husband's petition.

Of course an attorney cannot gurantee what the outcome or judge's ruling would be, but yes if you are no longer cohabitating that would give you a legal rebuttal to your ex's claims.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones