Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

NY.....joint custody but physical custody with mom....dad in…

Hello, NY.....joint custody but...

Hello, NY.....joint custody but physical custody with mom....dad in VA. Mom decides to homeschool without telling dad, which he is failing. Dad called the school 3 months ago as the mom stated a psychologist said he was unable to go to public school. They had no record but two days later they did.....family connection in small upstate town. Mom’s attitude is he will not go to college anyway. We have found that in NY once he is 17 he doesn’t even need to go to school! We want him to repeat junior year and graduate. Any advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only heated messages to the school stating why weren’t notified

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No because we are in va and don’t have any legal contacts in ny

1/10/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

***************

If both parents have joint custody the school should NOT have permitted the mom to unilaterally withdraw the child from school. The fact that Mom did that is a pretty significant reason to go to court and request sole custody via Motion to Modify Custody since mom has demonstrated that she is unwilling to co-parent with dad. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

I see that you requested a phone call; it looks like someone else accepted your phone request before I could.

Did we miss your call? Will you call tomorrow?

No... it looks like someone else accepted your call. I would have called your otherwise :) Let me reach out to customer service and see what happened.

Thank you

Customer service should be reaching out to you... I contacted them twice.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney