Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have custody of my grand duaghter she has two other

Customer Question
I have custody of...

I have custody of my grand duaghter she has two other sisiters and the father wont let her see them. She is only 4 and her sisters are 2 and 1 year old. We up to Nivember of this year supported all thre kids and where very much involved with all three of them. what are my chances of getting the court to allow the sisters to spend time together. they are half sisters

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Nothing yet we live in florida and florida does not have grandparents rights. I just wanted to know if taking the angle of the sisters would help our cause

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

We left message with them yesterday waiting on them to call us back

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear this; unfortunately in FL siblings are considered non parents and as such are deemed third parties so the courts have applied the same rules as grandparent visitation.

So unless the parent can be proven unfit the court does not have jurisdiction to order sibling visitation.
I am sorry that your granddaughter is not able to visit with her sisters;

Sibling visitation has only been upheld involving cases where a sibling was in a state facility or foster care home.

http://www.centerforchildwelfare.org/Training/2015cpsummit/Session%20A%20-%20Fostering%20Sibling%20Connections.pdf

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information