Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is a situation in which my much older brother has for…

Customer Question
This is a situation in...
This is a situation in which my much older brother has for 20 years been taking or mismanaging inheritances that should have been mine. He admits in a letter he owes me $50K but he really owes me more than $350K. I am not estranged from him. Unfortunately he is very ill and I hope he does recover so in future I may work this out in person, however, it doesn’t apppesr he will live very long. It’s a very sad situation, but I need some information. I have not been included in his medical care or given any papers- have been frozen out. He has all the family papers etc. He has a stepson he adopted and my nephew has a son.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

when did he admit owing the money? are you asking for options to pursue a claim?

Ok Thx

I asked a couple of questions just now

In a letter about 5 years ago. I have the letter. He also writes about all of the inheritances
I wish to put a claim against his estate if he does pass

Good, the SOL is 6 years in New York. You should file in court asap within that time limit. Often the filing will lead to settlement and repayment. You could also have a local lawyer first make demand and threaten legal action. If he dies, you would sue the estate

Please let me know if that is clear and acceptable.

I thik I will have to sue the estate but I would like to have the claim ready ~ I would still pursue it even if it was past statute. He is a lawyer and some of the wills etc he handled he defrauded the court

I would definitely pursue within the time permitted rather than after, since a lawyer will be aware of the sol defense

while alive you sue the person, if dies later the estate takes over.

if my replies are fast and acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

If he defrauded a court th statute is longer/ also if someone admits in writing to owing an amt, not sure it is under statute bc he is admitting having owed it for many years but he had stolen from me all the documents
He was an officer of the court

admitting the debt starts the time all over!

The SOL is revived when one admits a debt or makes a payment.

Good luck!!

What if he currently pays for my internetand phone- if he pays about $360 a month could that be looked st as partial settlement evenntho it is not/ or could I ask for that amt for my expected lifespan?
Sorry just one more

No, it is unrelated

Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Ray here a new expert.Did you have more followup, please just ask.