Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

During the custody hearing for my son I was ordered by the…

Customer Question
During the custody hearing...

During the custody hearing for my son I was ordered by the court that I do not pay child support. Now my son's mother is wanting me to pay which I am ok with, but we can not come an agreed amount. She is requesting my pay stubs, but I don't feel comfortable giving them directly to her. She has threatened to take me to court which I am ok with since it will make things final and legal. I feel like I should wait to be court ordered to submit her my pay stubs. Also, since I am commissioned based and in Texas is it still 20% of the gross income?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing that I know of or since the original order back in 2011 which made her the primary, but I have visitation rights and no child support was ordered

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is all for the moment, just need to know if I should send my pay stubs or wait till I am ordered by the court and how is the amount calculated with me being commissioned based in Texas.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If the court ordered you did not have to pay support, then you need to make her take you to court. It is still 20% of gross income up to a maximum monthly support amount of $1,710 a month in child support for one child no matter how much money you make. So, even if you are on commission, the court will take an average usually over the last 2-3 years of your income to set the support amount.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.