Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I answered the question about children stating that we have…

Customer Question
HI, I answered the...

HI, I answered the question about children stating that we have 2 children. But, they are adults - 22 and 24 - the system is telling me that I need to sign up for a parenting class. That must be a mistake. Correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No...not sure...but not right now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Typically when you're filling out forms for divorce, what they want to know is whether the couple has minor children together. The system must have thought you and your spouse have children under the age of 18. That's why it's asking you to take a parenting class. If you can go back, you'll want to see if you can resubmit stating that you don't have minor children, because otherwise it's also going to ask a lot of questions related to custody and child support, and you don't need to worry about either of those.

That should also take away where the system is telling you to sign up for a parenting class. If that doesn't work, you can submit a Amended paperwork to the court, clarifying that you do not have any minor children and asking that the parenting class requirement be lifted. There's no reason for you to spend time and money on the class when you're not currently raising any minors.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer