Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am relocating out of the state of florida this saturday. I…

Customer Question
Hi, I am relocating...

Hi, I am relocating out of the state of florida this saturday. I am the custodial parent of our daughter and my ex says he consulted a lawyer and said i cannot take our daughter with me to ohio without going through the courts first. Him and his new wife can afford a lawyer, I cannot. I feel so alone and dont know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont know what to file so i can take my daughter with me or file something to where it does not reflect any kind of abandonment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My divorce decree does not state anything about relocation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You do need to obtain either consent or a court order before moving out of state.

Section 61.13001 of the Florida Statutes states that “If a parent attempts to relocate with a child and fails to comply with section 61.13001(3) of the Florida Statutes regarding the petition to relocate, such parent may be subject to contempt and other proceedings to compel the return of the child, and such non-compliance may be taken into account by the court in a subsequent determination or modification of the parenting plan, access, or the time-sharing schedule.”

Since your ex is not willing to consent to the move, you'll need to file a petition with the court in order to allow the move. The petition requires a variety of information, including the reason for the move, the specific location of the move, a proposal for visitation and parenting schedules after the move, and notice to the non-custodial parent.

Once your petition is set for a hearing, the judge will then make a decision either granting or denying the move based on what's in the best interest of your daughter.

Factors the court considers in determing the best interest standard for your daughter include: how the move will affect her relationship with family or friends in the area, how the move will affect her mental, physical, and emotional health and development, your reasons for the relocation, and your ex's reasons for objecting.

I'm sorry it's not an easier process, but I hope that information helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

my case# ***** the fourth judicial circuit court for duval county is 05-4244-fm under my ex married name Nancy L. Bailey
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Did you receive my prior message? I'll resend it.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

9 Jan 2018, 12:04 PM

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones