Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 7 yr old Grandson that is very dear to me. I have…

Customer Question
I have a 7...

I have a 7 yr old Grandson that is very dear to me. I have been with him since the day he was born. His parents are alcoholics and mother has been in rehab and arrested for domestic violence as is his Adoptive father. His 18 yr old brother has moved out. He is a Senior in High School and neither of us are allowed to see the 7 yr old. The step father is not allowed to have his children in the home but can have my grandson. Social Services has been involved both at home and at school. I want to know my rights about seeing this child. He used to come over and spend weekends with me. Very rarely did we go a week without each other. This is the second time I have been held away from him for over a month. My daughter has mental issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Missouri and they live in Overland Park, KS.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I do not have a lot of money for attorneys.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of other than this little boy adores me as I do him.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I just want to see my grandson.

I am sorry to hear this; often when children are used as pawns it negatively affects the children, not to mention the person not allowed to see the child.

Kansas has more expansive grandparent rights than most states.

If there are any pending custody disputes the grandparent may file a motion to intervene and request visitation rights.

If there is no pending custody case the grandparent may file a petition for grandparent visitation if the court determines there is a "substantial relationship" between the grandparent and the grandchild;

please see:

https://www.kansaslegalservices.org/node/460/grandparent-rights

Any court order would be enforced by the court's contempt powers.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

No I do not want to pay the $59. I need free legal assistance not a bill.
Thank you. I paid the $5 so please I do not want anything else so do not bill me.

I'm sorry as I don't have access to your account.

Please contact customer service:

ww2.justanswer.com/help