Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need to fight my mothers will, I need to know how to do…

Customer Question
I need to fight...

I need to fight my mothers will, I need to know how to do this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Arizona, but my mother lived in CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My sister who was left everything will not give a copy of the will to my brother or myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My parents were quite wealthy, my sister is the executor

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.First of all, you don't have a "right", outside of a formal legal procedure, to see the will. Even if you did have such a right, you'd need to file a case against the possessor of the will for a violation of that right. The way to compel her to "produce" the will would be to file for probate. Once she does so, you can contest the will that is produced.

One need not be a lawyer to serve as an executor, administrator, or guardian. However, the executor, administrator, or guardian must be represented by counsel. As executor of a decedent’s estate, you don’t represent only yourself. An executor represents the interests of beneficiaries and creditors. This responsibility to act for the benefit of another is known as a fiduciary relationship. It gives rise to certain legal obligations and responsibilities that require legal expertise. The attorney you hire represents you in your capacity as executor and assists you in representing those for whom you are responsible. The only proceedings you can handle as a pro se are those in which you truly would be representing only yourself. For example, a pro se applicant may probate a will as a muniment of title when he or she is the sole beneficiary under the will, and there are no debts against the estate other than those secured by liens against real estate. This procedure can be a viable option in some situations, but not in others. That being said, you need to contact other attorneys in the area where your mother died that deal with probate cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in the area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in the area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer