Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If there was a court order set in place 4 years ago before…

Customer Question
If there was a...

If there was a court order set in place 4 years ago before MC was in school and since MC has started school and both parties have moved from previous addresses that were convenient for previous drop off/ pick up location but CP refuses to drive to pick up MC and is causing her to miss school who is responsible here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has she taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

There is a court order set in place that was initially established 4+ years ago before MC was old enough to start school

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats basically it I just need to know what direction to go in

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If the two of you are unable to resolve it amongst yourselves, this is a situation where you would need to go back to court to have a judge decide how the pick up/drop off environment should be changed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand but we are currently in the situation and the child has missed one day of school due to CP refusing to pick her up. If I enroll her in school where I live which is 1.5 he’s away since CP refuses to come would there a problem ? All I want is what’s bets for my child and missing school is not.

If you have joint legal custody you wouldn't be able to just unilaterally enroll her in another school. I don't doubt that you want what's best for your child, which is why you would want to file a motion with the court to get this resolved quickly - and you can do that by filing an ex parte motion which can be decided very quickly since the child is missing school.

Ely, Counselor at Law