Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

It's regarding a judgment for arrears on child support in…

Customer Question
It's regarding a judgment...

It's regarding a judgment for arrears on child support in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes and a judgment was filed against dad for $10,000 for arrears. Now momwants to agree to $6,500. Is that even possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Judgment was filed two weeks ago, the child is 18 about to be 19 and will graduate this June. Dad has paid $210,000 over past 10 years and never missed a payment. Last year he had an injury to his back and no longer has the same income.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Such judgments can be enforced for full amount. However it is not uncommon to negotiate payment of the judgment on consent for a reduced amount. Both sides need to agree and sometimes court will grant it given History of payment and financial need.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”