Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I would like to take my step-son to visit my family in the…

Customer Question
Hi. I would like...

Hi. I would like to take my step-son to visit my family in the Philippines and UAE. He is 25 yrs old and with special needs. My husband has full physical custody and shared legal custody. I have told that we have to secure permission for him to go with us but we don't know her whereabouts and had no contact for years. We were able to get him a passport but haven't use it. Also, will this travel will affect his SSI benefit? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am located in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He haven't left the country.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that's all it. I want to know if he can travel without his mom's permission.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

You are correct that if your husband and his ex have joint legal custody then he needs her consent to travel outside the country. That being said, there's only so much you can do to try to track someone down - do some internet searches to see if the address she lives at come up, ask some friends, ask some family members. After that - assuming you can't find her - you have two options: 1. go on your trip or 2. Petition the court for permission to travel - although, frankly, that might be overkill since you already have a passport to travel with the child.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them.

Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney