Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Situation: Court order says to pay child support if the

Situation : Court order says to...
Situation :
Court order says to pay child support if the child is living at the mothers home and going to college until the child is 20 years old.
What if the child is living in a college dorm does that still apply ?
If child support is to be paid can the father petition to give it directly to the child ?
Thanks
1/8/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Typically, the child is still considered to live at the mother's home if that's where they will go during school holidays and summer vacation. The father can file a Petition asking to pay the child directly, but if the custodial parent can prove that she is paying for things like a dorm meal plan and other college-related expenses, the judge has discretion to order that it still be paid to the mother.

At the same tme, if the court order specifically says that he only has to pay while the child is living at home attending college, the father could move to terminate support on the grounds that the child has moved out and doesn't live there anymore. Usually, court orders that require contribution toward college expenses don't differentiate between the child living at home or on campus.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The exact words are "attending college, unmarried, and residing with the mother"
That is the only mention of anything related to education and child support beyond 18.

Technically, his residence is with his mother if that's where he intends to return on breaks.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer