Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a friend who’s divorce has been reopened due to her…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who’s divorce has been reopened due to her husband not disclosing all his assets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Her attorney who has been delaying this divorce since it’s been reopened as Now said she wants a jury

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Trial. The judge is aware of everything especially enough to reopen the case. Why in the world would she nowbe wanting a jury trial. I’m afraid it’s just for more delay and more money. There are no children involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Texas

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

I have read and understand your facts, is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her attorneys plans have always her. To just go back before the judge and address the non disclosure of assets.
Now she wants a jury trial. Why would she want a jury trial
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would a jury trial benefit her more than just a normal divorce before the judge who is aware of all that happened previously and a judge so also reopened her divorce case.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This attorney has continued delaying this case after it was reopened. It was discussed that once the case was reopened she would act on it quickly. Mainly to prevent him from moving assets again. But she has delayed this almost 8 months now. And now saying she wants s jury trial. Just modes not make sense to me. Texas divorces rarely go before a jury. And when they do it’s usually where children are involved

There are lots of reasons to select a jury trial. It may be that the lawyer or client doesn't like the judge, it could be that the judge has a reputation of being more favorable toward women than men or vice versa, it could be that the person requesting the jury trial doesn't think the other party will present well in front of a jury.

I requested jury trials in many cases simply because I liked the flexibility they give in you being able to tell your story and you're not as rushed as you are in a bench trial (trial with a judge only).

Actually, more divorce cases go to jury trials over property issues than children, at least lately.

Also, it could just be a stalling tactic although most judges give divorce jury trials preferential settings, just behind criminal cases.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer