Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a couple of questions. I got divorced 5 years ago and…

Customer Question
I have a couple...

I have a couple of questions. I got divorced 5 years ago and we had joint custody 2-2-3. Also my ex-wife made more money than me so she paid me child support. a few months ago I lost my job and had to move in with a friend about 30 miles away. in a 2 bedroom house. she is taking me to court to get full legal and physical custody and to change the spousal support to nothing, which I have no problem with since my son is living with her. If I consent to the order not to receive child support do I have to fill out form FL-150 income and expense declaration?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes a change for child custody visitation and child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes In the child custody section of my response can I propose a different visitation schedule than she filed for?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/8/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The FL-150 is only if you are filing for divorce. This is not going to apply if you are already divorced and are seeking a modification on your custody/child support orders. You can also propose a different visitation schedule than she filed for, but it's going to be up to the judge to make the determination. The judge might send you to mediation to hammer out your differences and then move forward with the recommendations that come from that.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer