Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Im currently raising two kids that are not biologically

Customer Question
Im currently raising two...

Im currently raising two kids that are not biologically mine, they live with me. mother I used to be together, never married. im the only dad they know. Bio dad has never been apart of kids life AT ALL. mom is threating to take kids away and they want to live with me. Anything I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Kids are 13 and 14

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/8/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Your case would be referred to as a third party custody case.

Generally speaking for a third party custody case the parents' rights must first be terminated.

However the court's goal is to reach a remedy that is in the best interests of the child.

If you have been a father to the children for the majority of their lives then this is something that the court will take into consideration.

See:

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/family-law/child-custody/third-parties-rights-to-custody-of-a-child.html

My recommendation would be to retain the help of a family lawyer to assist you in petitioning the court for custody or visitation rights. The legal system can be complicated, and you can anticipate several hearings and legal battle over custody of the children, potentially with your ex as well as with the children's biological father.

You can contact the Oklahoma State Bar to get a referal to a pro bono (free) or affordable family law attorney in your area.

Their phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!