Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do you normally pay alimony. Maryland. Just the original…

Customer Question
How long do you...

How long do you normally pay alimony

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just the original in 1985

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/8/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help!

The length of payment for alimony varies on a case by case basis.

There are several factors that the court takes into consideration when determining the amount and length of alimony to be paid.

Some of the main factors the court looks at are:

· Length of your marriage

· Your financial situation during the marriage, now and in the future

· Your age, physical and mental health, and

· The reasons for the divorce.

The court can then award either:

(1.) Alimony pendente lite

(2.) Rehabilitative alimony

(3.) Indefinite alimony

The court can always revisit or adjust alimony at any time as well, so depending on your circumstances that may be something you can petition the court for.

If you'd like to share some more case specific information as to your current alimony situation, I'd be more than happy to help answer any other specific questions you may have about that.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!