Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex requesting one of the weekends for custody that Im…

Customer Question
Hi. My ex requesting one...
Hi. My ex requesting one of the weekends for custody that Im unavailable to provide the child due to my work schedule. I have provided other alternative dates that my ex can have a child but my ex is not satisfied with that and insists on that one day that I cannot make it. My ex receives visitation schedule 2 months ahead of time and I even provided the weekends that Im able to bring the child to him. But he insist that I’m preventing him from seeing the child and he will file contempt in court.
What should I expect from court?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/8/2018
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What does your court order say about the visitation schedule? Would you be in violation of the order by failing to deliver the child for this weekend?

Its says father shall have custody 2 evenings each week on days that Im off and able to bring the child so I need to provide my availability a soon as I have my work schedule. Also he shall have custody one Sat or Sun each month with 5 day notice preceding that Sat or Sun.
I also have to work weekends one a months and he tends to choose specifically that weekend. He also cancels visitations any time and haven’t seen the child for 2 weeks but he demands from me to bring the child when he wants.
in the court order it doesn’t specify witch Sat or Sun.

Ok. Thanks.

As long as you are not in violation of the court's order, then you really have nothing to worry about. As long as you are offering him visitation at the times you can within the terms of the order.....you should have nothing to worry about.

As long as you are offering visitation in accordance with the order, he shouldn't have any basis or ability to file a contempt charge against you.

since its unclear witch Sat or Sun I’m trying to understand what he can come up with in the court. Because he thinks that When Im telling him that Im working and unable that weekend and offer him alternatives he insists that Im not giving him the child on “ his weekend” the order doesn’t specify witch weekend is his. Its just one weekend a month

If the court order doesn't specify weekend visitations, then it would be difficult for him to claim that you're in contempt. The only way he can hold you in contempt is if you're I violation of a court order.

Ok, can he claim that Im preventing him seeing the child if he has visitation schedule gor next 2 months and I offered him weekends for this months and next month.

If you are offering dates for visitation, it seems difficult to see where he could legitimately claim anything against you since the order doesn't specify certain dates for visitation. Thus, if you're offering him dates to see the child, he would have a hard time making a serious claim in court.

Roger, Attorney