Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I served my abusive husband with a restraining order. Can my…

Customer Question
I served my abusive...

I served my abusive husband with a restraining order. Can my son's father in law judge give my husband advise through my son? Is this ethical on the judges part?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

LA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have filed 3 years of abuse with the local Safe Harbor. I called 911 when being threatened. The deputy threatened me & filed a slightly false name on the report. Yes, a judge signed the TRO &my H was served with that & a suit fir divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

please review my question

Can you help me understand the nature of the advice that was given to your son?

My husband told me that this judge told my son to get representation. I think there was more that my H told me, but ai can't remember right now. However, at the time it seemed highly inappropriate considering he is my son's FIL and was very careful about what he said when I asked him whether an attorney had integrity. He said, " Don't Tell me anything about the case. If it ends up in my courtroom, I will have to excuse myself." However, now his daughter will not talk to me. So, something is up
Also, my daughter, an attorney, told my abusive husband she would go all the way to the LA Supreme Court to have me committed so that it would look like I could not handle my H money in the case of my divorce filing

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have you considered filing a complaint regarding this judge's actions? Are you aware of the process to do such a thing?

She & a son who signed the OPC, so that I could not sue my H, somehow accomplished this. The Deputy Coroner added 4 days to my stay, until I told the entire staff I was going to sue if they did not let me out
No, I do not know how to report a judge
When I called my daughter's law office & asked the owner if a certain actions was considered ethical , he would not answer. I said, " Then it is obvious you ate not ethical, if you can't answer a simple question on ethics."
Then my H called my son who signed the OPC, and told him that I called her law office using a phone ID of his wife.
My son then called me & said," Do you realize my wife can sue you for pretending to be her trying to get your daughter fired?" Later that day, he called back & stated that the law firm secretary made a mistake. That secretary doesn't not even know my son's wife exists.

I understand and I'm really sorry about that all of that. Your best bet is to file a complaint with the state. Even if they are a judge, the judge can still have a complaint made against them. Your complaint goes to the judicial council. If you click here, you can fill out this form and submit your judicial misconduct complaint. Be sure that you have documented everything that you can regarding the situation because these are very serious allegations.

How else can I help you today?

That is called spoofing & my software engineer son should know that I don't have capabilities to Spiif a phone. But, somehow my H convinced him I did know how. My H is deflecting & says I over blew the TRO, MY daughter says it is because I know the signing judge
All untrue. My therapist who helped me through the abuse, then broke HIPPA & TOLD MY h that ," I was out to get him." What do I do with this& my attorney daughter's in approapriate behavior? She also gave a false report to the governor's office saying," Ellen O' C was influenced to withdraw bank money due to an an eclipse of the moon. This is still an open case. What do ai do with this?

I'm sos sorry about your situation; many times, these situations can get so very ugly and in some jurisdictions, everyone knows everyone so it makes it that much more difficult. Just keep in mind that you have some rights that you can exercise with your judicial complaint form that I attached.

In advance of submitting, be sure that you gather all of your documentation so you can prove your case and advocate for yourself as much as possible.

Where is complaint form?

Copy and paste this URL for the complaint form:

https://www.lasc.org/la_judicial_entities/documents/Judicial_Complaint_Form.pdf

Ok. But what do I do about the daughter , attorney, who filed a false report to the govenors office?

Can you tell me what has come of that? Have you been involuntarily committed? Arrested? Sued?

I have been involuntarily committed from.Sept 27- Oct 2
that is after I contacted a coroner & told him this was going to be attempted due to a TRO. He said if she heard it, he would contact me immediately. He did not. I also had an appt with a coroner late at night at their office, she said due to late suits the are Very careful. They were not!!

I see. You could potentially sue the daughter for false imprisonment. False imprisonment is when someone confines you to a bounded area. If she filed a false report to have you committed, and there was no legitimate basis to hold you, then you may want to start there, but that depends on whether you want additional litigation.

You may also be able to sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress as well.

I live in LA. You can't even trust all police here. Yes, But, I would rather report her to a law board. How do I do that?

I understand. Lawyers generally have a duty to act ethically at all times. Thus, if you click here, you can file a complaint with the Louisiana State Bar Association. They independently review all of the claims of misconduct by attorneys in their state.

How else can I help you today?

the facility was very dirty and the staff played head games with residents. One woman was man handled when she asked fir eye drops, another frail iver 70 yr old covered in diamonds came in in handcuffs and leg irons

I'm very sorry about that. I think if you start with those recommendations I provided, it'll help you advocate as much as you can for yourself in this situation?

How do I report the mental health facility that will get results?
Do I sue them too?
Are you still there? We were disconnected

I'm still here.

You may consider suing the mental health facility if you have reason to believe that they had no legitimate basis to keep you or if you suffered other harms while under the hold. Generally, your state department of health will handle those complaints as well.

More questions: I dialed 911 when my husband threatened me. 2 deputies went inside my hose. One came out & said, " I hope he Sue's you. Here's how it's going to go. You stay in the driveway until your husband & daughter leave. He is taking her to Jazz fest all day & you're staying home." Then he wrote an incorrect name on the report. It was not exactly my husband's last name. I reported him to the DA. No response. I reported him to his supervisor. No response. I recently called Internal Affairs. He answered the phone to receive my report. What do I do now?

What did the report say?

The report was for domestic abuse

I see what you mean. If you've filed a report to IA, then that's a start. The only trouble is that for something like this, I don't know if you have a cause of action for the officer doing what they did. As bad as it sounds, what they did was probably legal in this case.

I was not able to file with IA cause the deputy in question answered the phone. How can falsifying a report of abuse be legal in Louisiana? How can an officer threaten the abused person when they ate calling for help?

I understand. If they put a wrong last name on the report, that itself won't be a violation only because it could have been a mistake (or at least that's what they'll claim)l.

As far as threatening the abused person, unless the threats were physical in nature, it's not likely that IA or the department of justice will do anything.

Ely, Counselor at Law