Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have guardianship of my cousin whom I had since birth. My…

Customer Question
I have guardianship of...

I have guardianship of my cousin whom I had since birth. My aunt came here to have him and left the baby with me. Now a man has come forth stating that he is the father and is coming to take him. My son does not know him neither has this guy helped me with him in anyway. He stated to me that he knew about his existence and he knew that the baby plan to adopt. What can I do to prevent him from taking my son?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My son was born in Milwaukee WI. That is where we live, this guy lives in Missouri.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge my aunt called and told me that she received something pertaining to establishing paternity

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes if he is adjudicated the father, can he take my son from me?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/7/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

When you say you have guardianship, is this something that was formally established through the courts by a judge issuing an order?

.

Or did your aunt just have him and leave the child with you, but not take any formal court action?

.

Has the court actually entered a paternity order stating he is the legal father?

.

Have you been served with anything regarding this from the court?

.

.

thanks

Ely, Counselor at Law