Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex now is 4k in arrearages but insists I buy two airline…

Customer Question
my ex now is 4k...
my ex now is 4k in arrearages but insists I buy two airline tickets for me to fly the 3 year old out for visistion. I said I don't have it as I am in school full time and if you had paid child support the last four months I would accommodate you. His attorney is telling me he will do a motion to comtempt if I don't come even though I don't have th emoney. FYI he was to come to see her in march 2017 and didn't come and also didn't come for Christmas this year even though he had scheduled time. Just doesn't want to pay to fly her. I have always complied but I can't pay for a ticket alone. His attorney told me to figure it out. Can he really put me in jail for this? If he was paying his support this wouldn't be a problem
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Does the court order require you pay for this? If he is four months behind, why have you not taken him back to court and sought to hold him in contempt?

the states I pay for my ticket and 1/2 of her ticket to take her to Arizona twice a year. Otherwise he can come out here with a 3 day notice anytime. He has failed to come once. We have been fighting other issues - he files petition upon petition many senseless. This just came up and the judge said the father better fix it before trial and it will be discussed at trial may 3.He first filed for more visitation (child support dodge) even though he has seen her 41 hours in two years. Then filed a petition for change of custody as I have sole custody. so those items and others have resulted in a full hearing May 3 and the judge said he would take it up then. That's why
my problem is I am willing to do it inbetween semester break but he needs to pay his share I can't cover it all. In fact he can fly out here take her and fly her back but he is insisting I fly her to Arizona even that was never a part of the agreement. He is just spiteful so they continue driving up my legal bills hoping I'll fold.

Thank you for the reply. If the father has been ordered to pay child support and has failed to do so, you can motion the court and seek to enforce the order and hold him in contempt. Moreover, if he wants you to buy the tickets, he has to pay what he is required to, as well. Now, for you to be held in contempt, it would need to be shown that your failure to pay was intentional. By that, I mean you had the money but refused. In this case, if he has failed to pay support and you have been using your own money to support the child and as a result, do not have the money for tickets, that can be used and raised as a defense and his attorney needs to be made aware of his obligation to pay and which he has failed to do.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!