Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I may nedd to request an emergency guardianship of my great…

Customer Question
I may nedd to...

I may nedd to request an emergency guardianship of my great nephew over the weekend. What is the procedure for going nefore a judge over the weekend?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes and no. Last year I attempted to help my niece and her husband not lose custody of my great nephew. My atty filed papers requesting we have an interest in the case. We went to court several times but in the end the judge decided to leave my nephew with the foster family at the time. Eventually my nephew went nack to his parents. Now my niece and her husband aremaking bad choices again. Dad has 3 felony warrants for assault and battery with a dangerous weapin and DHS has substantiated abuse charges against my niece. My niece brought him to me in Texas because DHS had required them to use me as a?safety net for Brayden if they ever messed up.. She lives in Oklahoma. DHS knows he is with me and feels it is the best place for him. DHS has been pushing me to get guardianship. DHS called me yesterdau saying another family member, who my great nephew doesn't know, is coming to get him on behalf of the parents. DHS wanted me to be aware. I tried contacting an attorney in Oklahoma yesterday to no availl. What do I do if someone comes to take him today? And can I see a judge on the weekend for an emergency guardianship?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

My nephew has been with me for almost 2 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I tried friday but couldn't get in touch with an attorney. My nephew is?safe and happy here. He is 4.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, this is not something they have a emergency duty judge on call for handling. I am afraid that the only way to file for guardianship is waiting until Monday when the courts are open and you will need an attorney in OK to go to court with the petition for emergency guardianship and seek to get the court to issue the order based on the previous relationship.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer