Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I’ve been in the army for approximately 4 months (123 days)

Customer Question
Hi ma’am. I’ve been in...
Hi ma’am. I’ve been in the army for approximately 4 months (123 days) and I’m afraid the stress has gotten to me and I’m starting to feel mentally ill. Can I get out in any possible way?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am afraid you cannot just get out, as you signed a commitment. You could consider going to get mental health counseling because the only way out would be a medical discharge and unless they examine you and determine you cannot be treated, you will have to remain in the army. If you refuse to continue training though, there is something called an entry level separation and they can give you a general discharge, which is not a dishonorable and not an honorable discharge, based on you being in less than 180 days. That is the only other option you have.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.