Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you are in a divorce mediation at the courthouse with…

If you are in...

If you are in a divorce mediation at the courthouse with your lawyer and the other party is representing via telephone due to being in another state. How do you know if no one else was conferenced or called in on the meeting. Is it required to be told that there is another person on the phone. Are you allow someone to attend your mediation meeting?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

THANK YOU. Flirida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not know or know how I can request it. Through the courts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just need to know if there are records in the court system that listed all parties included in a mediation either by being present or via conference call

1/6/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The mediator asks that all parties on the call announce their appearance.Honestly if they stay silent no way to verify who is on the line or with them.But the record is made at beginning of mediation to have the parties announce who is on the line or with them in the room so that the record is clear.Since it is mediation you are just talking settlement it is not as critical as it would be in say a trial where you want to know who is there.It really shouldn't affect mediation all that much all you are doing is talking with a third party trying to settle some or all the issues.

You just try mediation to see if you can resolve some or all the issues and at least shorten the trial if some are left.If not the court will set it for trial.Mediation in my experience works in say 3035% of the cases .I hope yours is one of them here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer