Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandson was recently diagnosed with autism and has been…

Customer Question
My grandson was recently...

My grandson was recently diagnosed with autism and has been living with my son and his wife after his mom said she no longer wanted to deal with him and didn't love him anymore. Now that grandson has been diagnosed, mom found out she could get more money from the state for his disability and wants my grandson back. How can I help protect my grandson. My son and his wife don't have extra money for legal fees. We live in Utah.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I'm aware of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The mom and her partners have been accused of abusing my grandson in the past

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The best thing that you can do is help your son file for sole legal custody of your grandson. Also they should keep the child as unless and until there is a court order. If they let the mother take the son (even for a visit) they find it very hard to get him back.

So the number one thing they need is a court order.

They can Petition themselves using the forms here:

https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/divorce/custody.html

Also if they qualify they can get legal assistance here:

http://www.utahlegalservices.org/

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer