Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex husband put his name on my daughters birth certificate…

Customer Question
My ex husband put...

My ex husband put his name on my daughters birth certificate so it wouldn't be blank. We now are amicable and would like to get his name off and disestablish paternity so I can go through Oregon DOJ to establish paternity with the biological father. Child is 16

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we were hoping to create our own form We did our own divorce I live in Oregon and my ex lives in TN but when we were married and he put his name on the birth certificate we lived in the state of Kentucky where the child was born

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I've relocated to Oregon and OR is domicile for me as Tennessee is now domicile for my ex husband. We are both health care professionals. The biological father has always lived in KY where the child was born

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's everything

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Because such a long time has passed, you are going to have to get a court order to change the birth certificate. Basically, the new father has to file a paternity case in court establishing himself as the father, and you and your ex will need to not contest that challenge. I would suggest hiring a family law attorney in Kentucky who can file the case on the father's behalf.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney