Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband shares joint custody with his ex wife of his twin…

Customer Question
My husband shares joint...

My husband shares joint custody with his ex wife of his twin boys. Ex wife refuses to put the children on her medical insurance unless they make her insurance primary, but due to the birthday clause my husband is primary. She put the boys on medicaid. As per the court order they are to pay any balances not covered by the insurance 50/50- which she refuses. In turn this was hurting my husbands credit report. I put the boys on my medical insurance. She is now demanding copies of my Explanation of benefits claiming she is entitled to all medical records. I informed her that a explanation of benefits is not a medical record and I am not court ordered to do so. In the state of Pennsylvania, as a step parent I am not required to put the boys on my insurance either. The reason I did it was to try to protect my husbands credit since she is not holding up to her end of the bargain. The reason she is not paying the copays and /or balances is because she has medicaid and when a balance on medicaid remains they normally write it off. Also she knows my husband is the guarantor and knows this will affect his credit. Am I required to give her my explanation of benefits. I am the subscriber. She pays for no premiums, no child support etc... Thank you, ***** ***** New Cumberland, PA, Cumberland County

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania, Cumberland County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not to our knowledge. The child custody order just states that if their insurance, my husband and hers does not cover a treatment, they must pay for it 50/50. They have joint custody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Presently I have her and her lawyer "bullying" my husband, stating he is required to give them my EOB's.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok thank you

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Hi, I'm having internet issues. I'll be with you in a moment...

Will the reply be emailed? or will we communicate using this service? I would call, but I am at work

hello, I will message you in this forum. I'm back online. Just a moment...

Ely, Counselor at Law