Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How can i get sole custody if father of my child has been…

Customer Question
How can i get...

How can i get sole custody if father of my child has been absent for 9 years but i have no idea of where he has been?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had filed child support in 2008 but case was closed in 2012

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It mostly concerns me because i want to obtain her passport

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You can file the Petition for Custody based on Abandonment.

When you file the Petition you will ask the Court for permission to serve your ex by "Alternative Service." To do this you will assert to the Court that his whereabouts are unknown. You will ask for permission to publish a legal notice to establish Notice to your ex. You may also consider asking the Court to terminate his parental rights.

Washington State Legal Aid can assist you with this at little cost is income is an issue.

Otherwise, you should be able to find the forms you need here:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.static&staticID=14

Here are additional resources for your review:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=13.34.132

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=13.34.180

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=388-15-011

http://info.legalzoom.com/difference-between-filing-full-custody-abandonment-21728.html

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald