Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son is currently separated from his wife. There are no…

Customer Question
My son is currently...

My son is currently separated from his wife. There are no legal actions taking place at this time. He is desperately trying to reconcile. In the meantime, my wife and I have not seen our grandson for almost 3 months. Our friendly text messages to our daughter-in-law go unanswered. This is breaking our hearts. Is there anything we can do legally to see our little blessing from God?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. These are two young parents, 21 and 22. There has been no legal action taken by either one of them since nothing "bad" has happened. We,as grown adults just believe that they both need to do a little more growing up. However, we feel that we are being punished because of "childish games" being played by our daughter-in-law. We understand that it takes two to tango but we don't understand why we must suffer while these two "kids" try to work things out

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, grandparents have very little say in whether or not they get to see the grandchildren ever since the US Supreme Court in Troxel v. Granville ruled that the right to decide for the child is a civil right belonging to the parent. So if you want to see your grandchild, you need to get your son to exercise his right to visitation with the child and make him stand up and bring the child to see you. I am afraid, this is something that is up to your son and he has visitation rights and when he has the child he can allow you to see the child, so you need to get him to stand up for his rights and take action to get visitation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer