Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Wife left country 2016 in Dec and suppose to come back no…

Customer Question
Hello wife left country...

Hello wife left country 2016 in Dec and suppose to come back no more than two months suddenly we have marriage prob out she planned from 2013 she felt she should have

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

To work and not want to work nor worry about helping in in house being taken care of she has gone pass one year on green card do not know of brothers house or if she could be in US what grounds for divorce go and house purchased before marriage she has not contributed anytime financially

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

CA is a no fault divorce state, meaning that there do not need to be any grounds for divorce. Abandonment is a reason for the divorce, which is what she has done in leaving the country and losing her green card status for being out of the country more than 12 months. Anything purchased before marriage belongs to you if you purchased it. Any property obtained during the marriage would be divided 50-50.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer