Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In Texas, a person may receive or be ordered to pay child…

Customer Question
In Texas, a person may...
In Texas, a person may receive or be ordered to pay child support after a child turns 18 if the disability either manifested itself or was known to exist prior to them reaching the age of 18. The disability can either be physical or mental. It is not necessary for the child to be institutionalized or hospitalized to have child support extended indefinitely. My question is, what legal form or petition would I file in order to extend child support payments in this situation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. The thing you will need to file is a modification for child support with the local probate court. TX is notoriously bad with putting the forms you need for things online, but this just means that you need to go down to the courthouse and ask them about the forms that are needed. You should cite the law that you provided and provide the facts that suggest that the child is suffering from a disability that should be paid for. If you do that, the judge may call a hearing to verify or may request more information to help make a determination, but if you are successful, then the child can get additional support.

I'm sorry and I wish I could just give the forms to you, but TX is just not good with providing this information publicly. You can start by drafting your motion on this 28 line pleading paper and then sticking that with whatever forms are needed as required by your county.

Did you have any other questions for me regarding this at all?

Hello! I just wanted to check in to see if you had any additional questions to my answer.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer