Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Ohio. Wife lives in Indiana. Wife filed for

Customer Question
I live in Ohio...

I live in Ohio. Wife lives in Indiana. Wife filed for divorce in Indiana almost 12 months ago. I responded to the divorce papers. Had one hearing and temporary orders in place. Completed required parenting class. Nothing has happened since then. How long is this allowed to go on with nothing happening ? I want this divorce finalized. Am I able to file in Ohio since nothing is happening?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Ohio. She moved to Indiana. She filed in Indiana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We've had an initial hearing setting temporary orders in place involving child support and schedule for child. It's been almost a year and nothing else has happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I can go ahead and file in Ohio so that this divorce can be finalized since nothing is happening in Indiana. Weve been separated over 2 years now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here since she served you in Indiana you would need to proceed there.You can file a motion for final and proceed to set the matter for final hearing.I am guessing she ran out of funds and maybe the lawyer is stringing it along so she can make more payments.

Motion forms

https://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/files/fillable-form-dissolution-motion-hearing-final-ps-31152-7.pdf

Notice of final hearing

Decree for judge to sign

https://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/files/fillable-form-dissolution-decree-ps-31152-9.pdf

These are your next legal moves to finalize the divorce since she hasn't done anything.If her case gets dismissed then you could file in your state.

I appreciate the chance to help. Thanks for rating 5 stars.