Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Here is the situation. Both grandparents are dead. They were…

Customer Question
Here is the situation. Both...
Here is the situation. Both grandparents are dead. They were never married. The paternal grandparents have had temporary custody for over two years now and we have no type of legal visitation with child. Our lawyer is doing appeal. However she wants to file for us getting guardianship of child. You think this is good to do or a waste of time and money. Also have not seen the child for over two years now.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Certainly you can seek to modify custody of the child.You can argue it is in your best interests to have custody.At the least the court could order joint custody and award you serious visitation.There is no reason to deny you access and involvement in the child's life.

I think you have the right idea to seek such legal rights to custody and visitation to be involved int he child's life.You have real good chances here to get that ordered by the court as best interests of the child would be served by that under NC law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, wish you good luck in the court case.

Thanks for rating 5 stars ,let me know if you have more.

Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as it seems you opted out the previous contributor.

You said the judge keeps ruling against you, what is the reason the judge keeps ruling against you and siding with the grandparents?

What is your relationship to the child?