Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Getting divorced, can my sixteen year old decide who she…

Customer Question
Getting divorced, can my...

Getting divorced, can my sixteen year old decide who she wants to live with in Oklahoma?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. In Oklahoma, a minor child can express a preference as to where he or she chooses to live at the age of twelve (12). However, the Judge always has the final say and will decide based upon the best interest of the child.

Do I need to file for custody before I move out?

When you file for divorce you can also ask for temporary custody of the child while this is pending. Ideally, you would be able to work this out but if not, the Judge would decide.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.