Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My question is related to paying for my child's college. I…

Customer Question
Good Morning! My...

Good Morning! My question is related to paying for my child's college. I have been divorced from my ex husband for going on 4 years. In the divorce agreement it was stated that we would both pay for my oldest child's college education expenses. We have 3 children together, my 19 year old being the current college student. We do not have much of a relationship with each other going back to before he graduated high school. However since he has enrolled in college and I have been paying my part of his tuition, room and board (he is in a fraternity) as well as books.... I have yet to receive any receipts at all from him or his father. His father set up a college bank account for him. My son and his fathers name only are on it. I am to deposit my portion of school costs into this account and that's where it ends. Today his tuition is due. I am wanting to know if anyone can help me, as to what I am legally bound to and how age of majority comes into play

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as what type of paperwork

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The ex filed for full custody of the kids in march of last year and court ruled yesterday that he would not get it. We have full joint custody of our three kids and no child support or alimony exchanges hands. My daughter wants to stay with him during the week so she doesn't have to get up any earlier for school (30 minute difference) so I agreed to that however she will be with me the weekends and our 6 year old will still be staying 50/50 with both of us. Another bit of info is that the ex filed for a pell grant for our oldest son without my knowledge, therefore locking him into being able to claim the college expenses. He remarried last march and I don't know if he is going to be updating the pell grant information with her income on it. I understand he is suppose to, however who knows

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If it is in your divorce agreement that you would share the costs of the tuition, you have to pay your share. The law does not mandate you get receipts for everything and if you wanted receipts that should have been included in the agreement. Under AL law because this was put into the divorce agreement, it is binding like a contract would be binding because there is no legal duty in AL to provide support beyond 18 or into college. It is once you put the agreement in the divorce order that you made yourself bound to continue paying the debt.

So, even though there is no such duty in AL to pay for college, you assumed that duty by virtue of putting it into the divorce agreement.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer