Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I flew to Florida and got my grand daughter from hospital…

Customer Question
I flew to Florida...

I flew to Florida and got my grand daughter from hospital Oct 19, 2016, she was

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Born Oct 3. Child protection wouldn't let them have her she was born addicted. They gave me temp custody and case is still open in Florida but the parent fled Florida came to Ohio where I live. My son went to prison is not in Halfway house in Columbus. The motherless in Newark said she is clean 4 months now but my grand daughter only know us and this as her home. Case is still open in Florida but what rights do we have and what do we need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio is where I live Florida is where I went and got her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No nothing here in ohio I was told since a case is still open in Florida Ohio can't touch it can't think of anything else

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 8 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

It will help me answer your questions better if you could let me know whether there is an active child protective court case in Florida, or if your granddaughter's situation was resolved only through Child Protective Services (CPS).

The first thing you can do to protect your physical custody of your granddaughter is contact the Florida CPS social worker (SW) to let him/her know what the parents are asking of you. Florida CPS will no doubt give direction as to what kind of contact the parents can have.

CPS usually takes a while to move toward termination of parental rights. Given your son's and the mother's progress in drug treatment, CPS may be reluctant to move quickly.

This is a difficult holding pattern for you and your granddaughter to be in. However, one way the case can resolve is for CPS to arrange for you to adopt her or for you to be appointed her guardian.

What do you think?

Sue