Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to ask my attorney about questions regarding my

Customer Question
I want to ask...

I want to ask my attorney about questions regarding my children's 529 of which my ex is the owner and my children are the beneficiaries. They were each given 30K as a trust to be invested by the Trustee (my ex). He invested them in 529 plans. I am wanting to find out if 1)he can spend all of that money out from under them 2) can he withhold the money from them if they do not want to see see him (his wife is not nice to my children at all 3) Can anyone file an "interested party" with the financial institution to see the balances 4) Should I seek to modify the divorce decree. My daughters are 15 and 17. I'm just not sure these are the correct questions to ask. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. I have not filed any papers since our divorce was made final. I would even know what papers to file.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2018
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

1) He can only spend it on certain exempt expenses that the IRS allows usually health related. 2) Yes, unfortunately he can but then he would owe taxes on it as income since he did not use it as intended. 3) No, but as a biological parent you may be able to. 4) If you are eligible and are concerned then yes modification of the decree woudl be a good idea.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer