Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughters mother and I are suppose to see a counselor for…

My daughters mother and I...
My daughters mother and I are suppose to see a counselor for co parenting it’s court ordered 6 sessions, but every time I’ve recommended a counselor she denies to go meet with them. I’ve tried for a year and still she doesn’t agree to any one. Recently my daughter has came to me and my girl friend and told us she’s scared of her mother and her mom doesn’t ask about her feelings and that she doesn’t let her call me when she ask. My daughter told me she saw her mother do bad stuff to my vehicle. I can careless about my car I’m worried about my daughters safety. In the court order it states we cannot go back into court until the 6 co parenting sessions have been done. I’m stuck she won’t go to see a counselor with me and now my poor daughter is crying out to me for help with her mother and I have no idea what else I can do.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
I can’t walk over the phone I’m only able to type/text at this time

The phone call request is auto generated by the site, you can disregard it if it's not something you're interested in at this time. I'm typing up my response now, thanks.

You can petition the court for a hearing to let the judge know that your ex has not complied with the court's order to attend the counseling sessions.

The judge can hold your ex in contempt for failure to comply with the court's orders. This would force her into attending the counseling sessions, or else face a change in the custody agreement OR sanctions for contempt of court.

You can go into the Clerk's Office at your local courthouse and they can assist you with the necessary paperwork for getting the hearing scheduled.

Of course if you have the help and representation of a lawyer that would be best, ***** ***** any event you should prepare whatever documentation or evidence you have of your attempts to attend counseling, and your ex's refusal.

The court is interested in the best interest of your daughter so you should also be sure to apprise the court of the statements your child has made to you about her mother's behavior and your concerns.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones