Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm needin an divorce in Houston,Tx I need the fastest way…

I'm needin an divorce in...
I'm needin an divorce in Houston,TxI need the fastest way possibleMy wife has been away for more then a year(abandonment),I have records on her telling me that she wants a divorce and will not be back for a few years,she is overseasWe have nothing togeather financyally or childrenWe got married in December 2011,am intitled to compensation as I'm from overseas and got stuck here because of her not finishing the visa application
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Texas law requires that you wait 60 days after filing divorce before finalizing it. So there is a 2 month wait which cannot be waived in almost any case.

But having said that, what are you asking here, i.e. what is your question? How to file divorce? Etc.

How do I file for a divorce by my self
How much is it?Since she abandons me,can I use that or should I rather then normal divorce?you mention almost any case no sooner then 60 days what are the exceptionsWe don't talk nor do I know how to reach her

My apologies for the wait, as I was in transit!

How do I file for a divorce by my self

See HERE for step by step intructions and forms.

How much is it?

That depends on the county you live in - the filing is about $300. Check with the clerk for the exact amount or, tell me what county you are in and I can find out.

Since she abandons me,can I use that or should I rather then normal divorce?

Abandonment in Texas is when one spouse has left the other spouse with the intention of abandonment; and remained away for at least one year. If this is true, then yes it can be used in your favor if you had significant assets together. You mentioned that you do not, and if not, then abandonment may not really matter. How can abandonment be used, in any case? Well, Generally, generally most divorces are no-fault, and this means dividing everything 50/50. However, if a party proves fault when divorcing, such as neglect, assault, abandonment, affair, etc, the Court can skew the division of property. The thing is, if you have little property together, then it really may not matter.

you mention almost any case no sooner then 60 days what are the exceptions

The only exception is if one party was convicted of a crime of family violence. Unless this is true, there is no other exception.

We don't talk nor do I know how to reach her

If you cannot find her, someone in your situation may have to file for substitute service. See HERE and scroll down to "Substituted Service by Court Order."

Again, my apologies for the wait.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law