Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What rights does a mother who has given custodial rights to…

Customer Question
what rights does a mother...
what rights does a mother who has given custodial rights to a child to her mother
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Where is the father in this situation? Why does she want to give her rights to the mother?

The father is "out of the picture." The mother has been a drug addict, hence the reason that her mother was given custodial rights. However, the daughter is "getting straight,"-- yes, I realize the unpredicatability of this, but in the meantime, the daughter has no idea of where her daughter is...the child involved in the custodial situation. The custodial mother--the grandmother, brought the child to No Carolina from NJ--her daughter believes that her child (a 4 yr old) is living with her sister, but the sister couldn't take care of the child and now the child is living with family friends (for 2 months now). My biggest question is--does the mother of the four yr old who gave her custodial rights over to her mother have the right to know where her daughter is? She (the mother of the 4 yr old) has no clue that her daughter is NOT living with her sister, but was handed over to another non family couple.

Was this legally done or via court order? Why is the location of her child not being disclosed and why would the child now be in the care of a non-family member?

this was legally done but unclear that mother of child was fully aware of any rights she might have. Her mother- the child’s grandmother, “couldn’t handle the child,” so the child was taken to the mother of the child’s sister in no Carolina. The mother of the child was aware of this move. However, when her sister “couldn’t take care “ of her niece ( she has 4 children of her own and her youngest child was striking out against his cousin), the sister knew a couple who wanted a child and they accepted taking the child under their care. But the mother of the child HAS NO IDEA that her daughter is not living with her sister. Why? Good question. The mother of the child has “messed up,” and they have shut her out of any decisions they have made abt the child. But I still feel that the mother has a right to know where her daughter is- and that’s why I’m contacting you in terms of her legal rights- simply to know where her daughter is
Family Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Unless her rights were terminated, the mother should be entitled to know where the child is and who she is living with. The issue is that the mother voluntarily gave up her rights to the mother and nobody else, so this can not be a situation whereby the child is passed from person to person since the grandmother who had the child, is the one with the rights and she can not just legally give the child to other people. The mother could proceed back to court and get the child back or another family member can try and take the child but the child should not be out of state living with a friend, who nobody really knows.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!