Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex-husband has left the country but we currently have…

Customer Question
My ex-husband has left...

My ex-husband has left the country but we currently have joint custody of 2 children. how do i get sole custody? the children are aged 15 and 16

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Im in british columbia, canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son who is 16 chooses to live outside the home with another family. he had moved in with his father prior to his father leaving the country. his father had made arrangements with the family to provide some sort of monetary reimbursement monthly but i don't believe this is now happening. Children services has recently contacted me stating that i may be held responsible to pay this. I have my daughter currently living with me and the father pays no child support

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

Good morning. You would need to motion the court and ask the custody be modified. You would need to show and support that the father no longer resides in the country and has left and has no intent to return. The fact that he left the child with another family, does not mean the child will remain and if custody is shared but he has left, the court should grant you custody of both children unless there is a legal basis what your son cannot live with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this would require a lawyer or could I complete forms and submit them myself

It is always best to retain legal counsel but you should be able to obtain the forms from the court and file it on your own if you desire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. in the case of the payment to the family that my son is residing with, will i be responsible to support them or would the father?

You are welcome. You would not. That would be between the father and them. Your goal is to get the child back and have full custody of both at this time. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer