Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I married my bf 36 years ago in Nevada. We split up 7 days…

Customer Question
I married my bf...

I married my bf 36 years ago in Nevada. We split up 7 days later. I found out he was still married to his second wife in California so ignorant asi was, I thought that meant we were not legally married. I still don’t know if that makes me married I haven’t seen him in all those years and have no idea how to find him or if I need to get a devorce? I want to get married now to my gf. What do I need to do and am I considered married to him or not?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We both lived in California, the woman he w as still married to at th e time w as in California but we eloped in Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I hadn’t even thought about it until it was brought to my attention by a friend that I may be considered married.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I need to know if my marriage was leagal in the first place and if I need to find him to get a devorce. I don’t know if he would even cooperate considering he was still married to another woman?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2018
Family Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert who will assist you today. First, it is against Nevada law for a person to marry someone if they are currently married. These types of marriages are considered bigamist and therefore void under Nevada law. It is as if the marriage never happened because it is automatically voided under law. You do not need to obtain a divorce because it is an invalid marriage.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
If you have any additional questions please just ask