Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child is incarcerated and my grandchild is with me, I…

Customer Question
My child is incarcerated...

My child is incarcerated and my grandchild is with me, I need to enroll him in school Is this something I can do without guardianship

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No and prefer for them to not be involved

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2018
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Ok, thank you

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If your child is willing to cooperate with you so that you can take care of your grandchild then you can use a temporary custody/guardianship authorization from the parent for your grandchild.

Here is a sample form that you can use:

https://www.myelement.org/cms/lib/CA01001871/Centricity/Domain/27/Temporary_Custody_Agreement.pdf

If your child is not willing or able to grant you this authority then your only other option is to Petition the Court.

Here are the forms for that:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=50

If you have difficulty with the forms legal aid should be able to provide low cost or no cost assistance.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald