Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex wife flew to the US with our child misleading me that…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My ex wife...
Second opinion] My ex wife flew to the US with our child misleading me that she was going to a wedding whereas that she planned on staying there with him without my consent. We are both Haitian but our child was born in the US.its been 8 months now and she doesn't wanna come back with him not let me come get him. A previous court in Haiti already ruled on the custody and the child support. Since the are in the states,Jacksonville what are my options.please
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If you have a Haitian Court decision, you need to go to FL where they are located and file a Petition to Recognize Foreign Judgment in the FL court and attach the Haitian Court judgment translated into English and ask the FL court to recognize and enforce the Haitian Court order. The FL Court will accept the order and will order compliance with the order and to return the child to you or to follow whatever the custody agreement states they must do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.