Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My mom passed and I have two younger sisters. I've already…

Customer Question
My mom passed and I...
My mom passed and I have two younger sisters. I've already had temporary custody of them over a year ago. What do I do now to gain full guardianship
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear this; is the father still alive? If so would he consent to the guardianship?

Ok will be waiting

Is the father still alive? If so would he consent to the guardianship?

both fathers are alive the 17yr old father is fine with the child being with me. He's a truck driver so he's on the road alot. The 15yr old father doesn't have anything to do with the child period. Hasn't been in the childa life at all

OK thank you; a few minutes please.

In order to obtain guardianship the person seeking guardianship would need to file a petition in the county where the child resides. The clerk may have a packet for purchase for a nominal fee depending on the particulra court.

Essentially after the petition is submitted and notice provided to the parents, the court will hold a hearing. If the 2 children have 2 different fathers that would require 2 separate petitions.

The petition would set forth the reasons for the guardianship request (ie preserve status quo; death of mother, ) and the court will either grant the petition if not contested, grant it if it is clearly in the child's best interests, or appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the child, and the guardian ad litem will submit a report to the court as to their recommendation after detailed interviews.

The court is not legally obligated to follow that recommendation but often do.

http://www.2ndchancerycourtdistrictms.org/information/gship-cship/guardianship/

Ok thanks

You are most welcome.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: