How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 50766
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The non custodial parents child support order isi in South

This answer was rated:

The non custodial parents child support order isi in South Dakota, he owes approx 25k in back support. He fled to Indiana and I was able to tell the process server his location. He has not paid a penny in 14 months. He has court 1/5/2018. Just received a payment of 130$ his order says 600$. Our last daughter will turn 18 May 2018. What will the possible outcome be at his court appearance? How will the arrears be calculated as far as monthly? She is going to college and the CS would greatly help her. I believe he has 10 or 20 years to pay arrears before it is forgiven? Thank you.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in SD family court?
Customer: DSS has filed the paperwork. He asked for a modification a couple years ago and the result was the same amount 600$.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Also in our divorce decree and the CS form was completed at that time also.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just know he is going to court for on payment if CS

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This would be contempt here.Likely if he appears they hold him in contempt and jail him until he makes a substantial payment .This might be say $5k on the $25k he owes or he does time.If you can them in front of the judge he is not likely to weasel away from this.I hope you get a chunk of what you are owed here.

I appreciate the chance to help.Prayers to you I know you need this for the children.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What about the arrears? Any advice on that?

He should have to pay a chunk of the arrears you are owed here or he goes to jail for awhile.Sometimes they manage to find the money when the jail closes in on them.Judges in general don't have alot of sympathy for deadbeat dads.I have seen then arrive in new Chevy pickups and the judge seizes the truck and jails them and they manage to find the funds.Hope this is the case with you.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

You will get an updated judgment here and hopefully paid at least a chunk of what you are owed.

RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you